The Traffic Clause – Sign Here
How to get traffic to your site or blog, more ideas to increase your traffic. For most “markieters” the very first stumbling block is “how to get” increased traffic to their sites and offers. Face it, the first time with your site or blog online you were hoping for a great big Traffic jam on your site! Then reality smacks you with the fact that most of us are just like “road landmarks” at our first sites. No one stops by to see how you’re doing, and they don’t even stop to take pictures! You need big time Traffic! In order to get there you have to start building up what you already have. This method will help put you on the path to eliminate the traffic nightmare!
There are a few blogs that I follow when I have time, I remember distinctly what one of them wrote and wanted to write something that would help. The blogger had written this, “A big shout out to my followers..all three of you!”. I thought it was hilarious! After wiping the laughter tears from my eyes I thought “I can help there, bloggers want traffic just like marketers”.
Traffic Building – The First Step In Your Niche or Hub Site
- Know your niche, find your subject/know your subject, match it to a niche. Does that make any sense? Probably not so I’ll explain, some of you will know what type of site you want. If that’s the case then you need to find what niche it belongs to. Getting started and having a choice of something you enjoy to make it a money making site may seem monumental. Don’t worry, it’s just a little hill and we will get over it fairly easy! All this means is you need to find your money making keyword phrase. So for your site or blog you must decide if you want/need a niche site or hub site. A niche site will rank specifically for ONE keyword phrase and a hub will rank for multiple keywords.
Search for (if you don’t already have it bookmarked) Google AdWords, or Keyword Planner. If you have never been to Google you will have to register for an account but everything is free and you won’t have to spend any money here (unless you create a miracle ad that gets past the stringent requirements) and order some ads. This has been set up by Google for two purposes, to better encourage utilizing their ads and confuse the heck out of someone who has never done this before! Don’t worry I’ve got you covered! Next go to the tools and analysis and pick the drop down for the keyword planner. You will find about 4 initial choices here and you will need to play around with them to get familiar (won’t you teach someone this eventually?).
- Next will be what we actually came here for, which is getting specific keywords to rank for on your site, blog, ads, videos, etc. Did you know that your keywords would be applied to that much? Let me tell you now and this may be the first time anyone has but this can take ALL DAY if you’ve never done it before. As you can see in the screen shot we searched for volume of the keyword, “bass guitar”.
Getting Started With Keywords – Do it right every time!
I’ve done something here on this site as an example but always keep in mind that this site is not the average “free” method site. I use a combination of free and paid methods for traffic but not everyone has a budget for that. Any way I used a negative keyword on this site two or three times just to see what would happen. I actually ranked on the first page for a little while with “markieter”. Do you remember the blogger I mentioned? Well after I stopped laughing at his joke, I looked around at some of his articles and the about page. What stood out to me was he plays and teaches some basics about Bass Guitar. So we are going to use that in our steps to see how to get your sites and blogs ranked.
*NOTE: Using Google search to check your keywords will give priority to local businesses and ads ranked first if your profile/location are known (check your Google profile if you have one).
- Sign into your Google adwords account or create a new account: Google Adwords Keyword Planner . I want you to really understand that your keyword is important for not just free search traffic but applies to Media Buying for ads and also for domains. If you want to rank and get free traffic (niche site), you want the advantage of having your domain name include your keyword too. Or if you will have a hub site with different offers from the same niche and you need the keyword phrases you want to rank for. The best reason for this is to have your site name EXACTLY the phrase that’s searched for in the search engine, minus your dot whatever. This is also why some larger marketers and site flippers buy up domain bundles, the keyword phrase with every dot variation available! You can get domain bundles from GoDaddy.com but I’m getting to far ahead.
- Go to the Tools and Analysis Tab, choose the drop down “Keyword Planner”. Next you will see 4 choice tabs in the planner, we are looking for volume of our keyword. Make sure you check the “choice options” on the left hand side for the following: Targeting tabs should be, United States/English/Google/Negative Keywords. The U.S. is your biggest targeted market(you can choose others but this is my general choice), English is the choice language (unless your marketing multilingual offers and sites), Google is the search results your looking for and negative keywords because we don’t want anything overlooked when first getting ideas. Leave the filters and options blank or at zero, we will change that later as you narrow down your keyword. So type into the search bar your niche, for this example we are searching “bass guitar”. Click on “Get Ideas”, and all the related keywords will show.
The next step will be to leave the keyword planner alone for now as we start with another tool. Never stop here and try to rank for your keyword at this point! Now you’re going to open up the one tool that will give you the “details”. Market Samurai is one of the best kept secrets to free traffic, go ahead and download the free version here: Market Samurai Free. You will need your user & pass info for Adwords to enter into Samurai. After your download and have the program open it’s time to get started. First in Samurai click on “create new project” and enter the following: The keyword we got good volume from keyword planner, enter it again in the “title” line. Then in the language/region line make sure it is english and united states. Next click the “create” button and the page in Samurai will refresh with some new choices. On this page click the choice for “keyword research”.
- Next if this is the first time using Market Samurai you will need to enter your “Google Adwords” info and after that click “generate keywords”. You will next see a pop-up window in the software that tells you it’s pulling your keyword data from Google. Next the page shows you around 800 or so keyword phrases, so now we need to get rid of the ones we don’t want. Click on “Keyword Analysis” near the bottom right corner for the next step.
This is THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Look at the screen shot here, enter these exactly: 1. Local SEO Traffic = 10
2. Phrase-to-Broad = 20
3. Make sure ‘Adwords CPC’ is checked. (You will see how much people are paying for the keywords in Adwords)
4. SEO Comp = 100000
5. Make sure ‘Title Comp’ is checked. Also below that double check these are correct- Match Type: Broad, Period: Daily, Filter: Normal. Now click “Analyze Keyword”. Now the software is getting rid of the keywords that are too difficult to rank for.
- Now that the list has been narrowed down to some great keywords, you want to look in the “SEOT” column for keywords greater than 1,000 but less than 20,000. You select them by clicking the box to the left of the keyword but be careful in this step. Avoid phrases that contain words like “free”, or “easy’, for the majority of these you have to use your judgment. Most people searching with the words “free” or “easy” are hard sells and most likely not buyer traffic. Once you have picked the keywords you want click the drop-down box near the left bottom corner “Actions On Selected”, and pick “Open In New Tabs”. Now you will see your new keywords in tabs near the top of the window, click on the first one.
- You will get the choice page again, click on “Keyword Research” and start the same process all over again. Remember this is narrowing your search to “money keywords” that you should be able to rank for, my S.E.O. mentor calls this “drilling down”. What is the most important in this process is that you want at least 10 to 20 secondary keywords even if you have found your keyword phrase. Also remember the “free & easy” rule and every keyword phrase you should be able to use in a sentence. There are two other aspects to look at for these keywords, SEOT – Look for numbers 800 + and SEOTC – from 1,000 to 20,000. Numbers higher than that will be too competitive and difficult to rank for.
Once you have those keyword phrases check the boxes of the ones that your satisfied with and click “export”. The software will allow you to save the list to your desktop. Then before you buy a domain or write articles for your keyword(s) do a search on them in Google and see if any ads show up. The ads are a sure sign that you have a “money keyword”, you can see the keyword I drilled down to was “warwick bass ibanez”. With your Backlink Vision you can also “peek” at the competition and see the average links, page & domain authority and Alexa rank to confirm how easy you can get ranked with your keyword!
Dedicated to your success,